Department of Biomaterials
Research work is the main role and its importance expands from the bulk to the surface of polymeric and composite biomaterials as well as biomedical devices. Currently, we are preceding some research projects sponsored by different manufacturers. The departmentcarries out research to develop materials for hard and soft tissues reconstruction (including bone, skin, vascular and nerve), with special focus on understanding the cells-biomaterials interaction at the materials surface. Many multidisciplinary research topics are carried out in collaboration with other academic and commercial groups both within IPPI, as well as nationally. We are eagerly ready to expand our collaboration worldwide.
The Department of Biomaterials has major research activity in the broad area of biologic and synthetic polymeric biomaterials, bio ceramics, polymer/bio-ceramic composites and nano-materials for tissue engineering, regenerative medicine (biomedical and functional applications). We also study the effect of drugs and proteins (released from carefully designed release systems), and surface modification techniques on tissue regeneration capability of biomaterials. Some main topics include but are not limited to:
1. Synthesis/design of novel polymer/composite biomaterials
2. Study of mesenchymal stem cells from different sources (bone marrow, adipose tissue) and their secretomes in contact with biomaterials (designed for hard and soft tissue regeneration including bone, skin, vascular and nerve), in vitro and in the models in vivo.
3. Development of hydrogels (based on biologic or synthetic polymers) and evaluation of their therapeutic potential in the regeneration
of damaged tissues.
4. Development and study of plasmas for biomedical applications.
5. Surface properties and their modification for biocompatible surface creation.
6. Cell-biomaterial interaction in static environment
7. Degradation and biocompatibility/toxicity analysis of biomaterials, in-vitro and in-vivo
8. Application of osteoblasts and stem cells in biomaterials for bone tissue engineering application
Teaching Polymeric Biomaterials for post graduate students is another purpose. We operate courses and research for the professional of biomaterials.
Service for the manufacturer and distributor of polymeric/composite biomaterials is an important duty of the group. Quality and carefully tested biomaterials/biomedical devices can be development on request. The department carries a very broad range of analytical techniques and expertise at its disposal. Some main services offered include (but not limited to):
- Toxicity evaluation both qualitatively and quantitatively
- Culture of different cell lines/stem cells from different origins (MSCs, ADSCs)
- Osteoblast Differentiation of Stem cells
- Antibacterial activity evaluation of biomaterials (EKA) for zeta potential measurement, and surface tensiometry to characterize the bulk and surface properties of the biomaterials.
In Vitro Biocompatibility Evaluation Laboratories
In Vivo Biocompatibility Evaluation Laboratories
Laboratory Expert: Nahid Salimi
Contact Number: 021-48662114