The main aim of this department carry out basic research on preparation of three types of transition metal based catalysts, for olefin polymerization. These catalysts which are based on mono and bi-supported Ziegler-Natta , metallocen and late transition metals catalysts. The first two types of catalysts are widely used for the manufacturing of a large variety of polymers including polyethylene, isotactic polypropylene and copolymers of ethylene and propylene. Late transition metals catalysts which allow the combination of polar monomers with non polar olefins and thus lead to innovative materials.
People In The Department:
Current Research Projects:
- Preparation of Ziegler-Natta catalyst with spherical support (MgCl2.nEtOH) for propylene polymerization in 5 kg scale
- Coploymerization of ethylene-1-butene using SDX catalyst and characterization of molecular structure and relationship between structure and properties
- Polymerization of ethylene using metallocene catalyst and investigation of properties and structure of produced polymers
- Modification of support, preparation of catalyst and polymerization of Propylene
- Preparation of Metallocene and beyond Metallocene Catalysts for α–olefins polymerization in lab scale
- Preparation of high activity mono and bi-supported Ziegler-Natta catalyst for slurry polymerization of ethylene and propylene.
- Preparation of high activity mono and bi-supported Ziegler-Natta catalyst for copolymerization of EPR.
- Preparation of high activity mono and bi-supported Ziegler-Natta catalyst and structural study of them.
- Copolymerization of ethylene/propylene elastomer using high activity Ziegler-Natta catalyst system.
- Study of butadiene polymerization using non- supported/ bi- supported SiO2/MgCl2 Ziegler-Natta catalyst with low Cis isomer content.
- Terpolymerization of ethylene/propylene and Diene Monomer (EPDM) elastomer using homogenous Ziegler-Natta catalyst system (VCl4/TiBAL).
- Preparation metallocene catalyst for ethylene polymerization with the catalyst.
- Preparation metallocene catalyst for syndiotactic polymerization of styrene.
- Preparation of Ziegler-Natta catalyst for ultra high molecular weight polyethylene and polymerization.
- Modification of MgCl2 support morphology with alcohol for spherical catalyst preparation and then polymerization of ethylene and propylene with these catalysts.
- Study of the Factors affecting morphology of Z.N catalyst’s support in olefins polymerization.
- Preparation the PZ catalyst for polymerization of ethylene that used in Bandar Imam Khomeini petrochemical complex.
- Preparation of Ziegler-Natta / Metallocene Catalysts hybrid for ethylene polymerization and preparation bimodal polyethylene.
The specialized laboratory of Catalyst Department is equipped with instruments necessary for the research and experimental preparation of catalyst and polymerization of ethylene, propylene, copolymerization of ethylene/propylene and terpolymerization of ethylene/propylene and diene monomers in addition to utilization of the general Catalyst Department equipped with two sets of buchi and pressure reactors for synthesis of polymer.
- Buchi laboratory reactor (up to 20 bar pressure and 250 0C temperature with press flow controller.
- Circulator (from -40 to 250 0C) Proline heating thermostats
- Balance and Density Determination kit.
- Vacuum oven box.
- Rotary evaporator.
- Dry box.
- Set up for spherical support of MgCl2.nEtOH preparation
Basic lines in Catalyst group1. Preparation of Ziegler-Natta catalyst with spherical support (MgCl2.nEtOH) for ethylene and propylene polymerization in 5 kg scale
2. Preparation of Metallocene and beyond Metallocene Catalysts for α–olefins polymerization in lab scale